Garlic has been used around the world for a variety of ailments for many years. One of the reasons it is so popular is that it is very versatile and can be easily added to a variety of dishes. It is also readily available in fresh, dried, or powdered form. Getting garlic in dried and powdered forms make it easy to store and have for everyday use, plus you get the same benefits as eating fresh garlic cloves.
To get the maximum benefit from garlic, adults should be eating two to three cloves per day. Children, on the other hand, will benefit from one half to a whole clove every day. Not only does garlic add some extra amazing flavor to you meals, but it can also help treat a number of ailments. Here are 4 reasons to eat more garlic.
1. For pregnant women who are concerned about the amount of weight their babies are gaining, garlic can help. It has been found to help developing babies gain weight, so adding some more garlic to your diet can help ensure that your baby will be big and healthy.
2. Garlic also helps strengthen your immune system, which means it can also help you fight off colds, coughs, and other infections. That means that eating garlic during the winter months when colds and the flu are going around can help you stay healthy. This remedy has been around for a long time, with a popular folk remedy being eating a clove of garlic dipped in honey when you feel the first cold symptoms.
3. If you have hyperthyroidism, it’s important to get enough iodine, which is one of the things used commonly to treat this thyroid condition. Because garlic has high amounts of iodine, it can greatly help you improve your condition by adding garlic to your meals.
4. Vitamin C is an important vitamin for immune health as well as a number of other body infections, and not getting enough can lead to scurvy. To reap the benefits of vitamin C and avoid getting scurvy, try eating more garlic which is high in vitamin C.
5. Popular folklore says that garlic is good for more than scaring hungry vampires away! Impotency has long been thought to benefit from doses of garlic, and treatment continues in many communities to this day. Why not try treating yourself with garlic for several months before you head off to the doctor for that Viagra prescription?
6. Cardiovascular disease can be reduced by ingesting garlic. LDL cholesterol is no friend of garlic and the aortic plaque deposits that gather on the walls of your body’s veins can be reduced with the use of garlic too. Studies have shown the amazing benefits of taking garlic in relation to heart disease.
7. Fungal and bacterial vaginal infections are toast when treated with garlic! When crushed or bruised, garlic releases Allicin which is a sulphuric compound that is a natural antibiotic. WWI soldiers even apparently used crushed garlic on infected wounds suffered in battle. If you decide to take garlic in tablet form be sure to use powdered capsules. The processes used to create garlic tablets destroy the Allicin that is present.
8. Garlic is a great source of vitamin B6 which is needed for a healthy immune system and the efficient growth of new cells. Vitamin B6 can also assist with mood swings and improve your cheery disposition!
9. Garlic can aid in the prevention of multiple types of cancer. Bladder cancer, prostate cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and stomach cancer have all been shown to have their tumors reduced when treated with garlic. Vitamin B6 is said to have cancer fighting abilities.
10. Garlic regulates blood sugar as it enhances the level of insulin in the blood. This may assist in the control of diabetes. Seek medical advice if you believe the use of garlic could help your condition.
A word of warning about consuming too much garlic; in large doses, garlic can be detrimental to your health and you should never take more than the recommended dosage. Also be aware that the properties of garlic actually get into your bloodstream which is why it is so effective in so many ways. What this does mean, however, is that when you sweat, garlic will leave your body through your pores. Many people who eat larger than normal amounts of garlic report increased body odor.
Also consider another area of your health when you choose to consume more garlic than your friends and family. If you are the only one taking increased doses of garlic, chewing a sprig or three of parsley after each garlic dose is recommended to combat the lovely aroma of garlic breath!
(Visited 116 times, 1 visits today)